We all have good and bad habits. Some habits help us live better lives. For example, if you have healthy eating habits, chances are you will also be more healthy. However, other patterns can significantly decrease our quality of life. For example, if you enjoy candy and can’t resist eating an entire box of M&Ms, daily, then this is an unhealthy habit. While no one is perfect, we can learn to replace old habits with new ones with some effort. Since you’re reading this, you are looking for 5 tips for changing habits. Rest assured, you are in the right place! This article will give you guidance regarding changing habits for weight loss and advice on creating lasting habits. Keep on reading!
5 Tips For Changing Habits
We’ve put together five helpful tips to start transforming unhealthy habits into long term good habits. Building habits takes consistency until our bodies are conditioned to accept a different course of action. Here are five helpful tips for changing your unhealthy habits:
- Bring Awareness to the Unhealthy Habit. The very fact that you are reading this demonstrates that you already know what’s up. You have an awareness that an unhealthy habit is taking over your life. Congratulations! Be sure to write it down and tell other people about it. Keep yourself accountable to do something about it that way!
- Replacement. Once you are aware of what needs to be replaced, it’s easy to replace it. It’s easier to replace a habit, then to have no action plan at all. If you’d usually watch TV at night and eat too many snacks, instead of watching TV, partake in physical activity. A 30-minute walk will be more constructive than watching TV anyway.
- Take Action in Small Steps. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day, and you will not be able to move miracles instantly. This process will take time. Start small and don’t get impatient or overreact. If you want to lose weight, maybe it would be best to make better food choices and start working out. You don’t want to shock your system by introducing too many changes at once. Make one small change a day to not feel discouraged quickly.
- Make a Plan. Great, so now that you are aware that a particular habit is unhealthy, what will you do about it? Be sure to visualize how things will change. Then, get out of paper and pen and make a vivid action plan on what steps you will take to replace the habit. For example, if your goal is to write a book in 1 month. Then, every day your action plan will be to write x amount of pages. With a solid plan, you’ve turned procrastination into action. It’s advisable to consult a health coach to help you make a detailed plan, and they will also help keep you accountable.
- Meditate. Meditating daily has multiple health benefits. A 2018 Harvard University study showed that daily meditation practices help lower blood pressure. Taking time for self-care, to clear your mind and be has numerous therapeutic benefits. Meditating can also help change habits. Try meditating to seek greater clarity and develop a strong bond with her inner self. Chances are, your new zen-like state will make you truly want to ditch bad habits.
Changing Habits For Weight Loss
There is one thing for sure when it comes to weight loss; dieting doesn’t work. Ignore weight loss programs with falses promises and start to develop a deeper relationship with your body. For starters, do you eat regular meals? Develop healthy eating habits to reduce body fat and increase your energy levels. Be sure to stay consistent with eating six smaller meals a day to keep your metabolism fired up. If eating six meals a day is too much, we get it. At least have three meals a day, with healthy snacks in between.
How to Create Lasting Habits
Creating lasting habits means consistency, consistency, and more consistency! If you’re conscious of weight gain and want to maintain healthy body weight, we suggest increasing your activity level. For example, add 20 minutes of brisk walking each day. Brisk walking does make a significant difference, especially if you do it every day, and each week increase how far you walk! Every step you take in the right direction is progress. And, that should always be applauded! See the bigger picture of where you want to go, and advance each day getting closer and closer.
Combat the Ego with a Life Coach
Not only is consistency the key to creating lasting habits, but so is keeping yourself accountable. We are often our own worst critics, but we can also quickly adopt a “laissez-faire” mentality. Our egos stop us from starting new routines because the ego craves comfort and the mundane. How serious are you about changing habits for weight loss or creating lasting habits that will enrich your life with more energy and greater happiness? Denise Blake, a licensed and certified health coach, can help you adapt to lifestyle and habit changes. That is her specialty! Book a free discovery call with Denise to discover how her skills and expertise can help you successfully ditch old habits and essentially create a new life!
Book a Free Discovery Call with Denise Blake
Did you enjoy our 5 Tips for Changing Habits? Be sure to share with your friends and family. You just never know how one simple share can make a significant difference in someone else’s life. Als0, follow Denise Blake on Facebook for more wellness insights. You might also enjoy “5 Ways to Work on Natural Health”.