The summer months can be difficult to stay true to our health, wellness, and fitness goals. Summer is a time to enjoy, relax, be carefree, and let go a bit. But, how can we keep a healthy eating mindset even when we’re at the beach, the cottage, or lazying around the house? With endless BBQs filled with hot dogs, burgers, beers, and ice cream is summer weight loss even possible? Yes! Adopt a mindset for healthy eating based on pleasure, forgiveness, and acceptance. This mindset considers healthier alternatives that are jam-packed with significant health benefits. How to get in the mindset of eating healthy? Learn more with Denise Blake, certified health and wellness coach!
Summer Weight Loss
How is summer weight loss even possible with all these yummy treats everywhere? Do you find yourself ordering a venti iced coffee with way too much sugar? Then, indulging in take out for lunch and dinner, because it’s just too hot to cook? You are not alone. However, adopting a mindset for healthy eating in the summer will help stay true to your health and wellness goals. Instead, be prepared with clean and delicious food choices, instead of falling victim to high-sugar foods, like fast food. A healthy eating mindset considers healthy alternatives and analyzes our eating habits to keep us on track to reaching our goals.
5 Tips for How to Get in the Mindset of Eating Healthy
- Set small goals for yourself. Often, women will set really high restrictive goals for themselves, that are ridiculously impossible to achieve. Instead, this summer ditch the strict rules. By focusing on small, realistic goals were less lovely to binge. For example, instead of saying, I won’t eat any ice cream this week, limit your ice cream intake to maybe once or twice a week. Don’t be so hard on yourself!
- Embrace Forgiveness. This is of course a valid lesson for life too, but when it comes to adopting a healthy eating mindset, forgiveness is key. Don’t spend time beating yourself up for what happened in the past. Don’t judge yourself for eating x amount of grams of fat, instead of eating kale chips. You are human, and show yourself some love and compassion.
- Healthy Alternatives. Alright, so you’re heading to a BBQ outdoor party, and you’re worried about eating too much. Set yourself up for success by bringing your own snacks. Perfect! Instead of beef burgers, opt for chicken or turkey burgers. You can also blend some beef and chicken together to reduce the saturated fat. Instead of using a bun, opt for a thin slice slider instead. Save on the carbs! And, instead of reaching for those salty potato chips, bring along healthy snacks like hummus and carrots, dried fruit and nuts, or other delicious clean eating summer snacks.
- Focus on Pleasure. When eating, focus on being aware of the present moment. Focus on how much you enjoy the vitamins and minerals that your eating. Savour every bite, and let it truly touch your soul. Because, if your overeating it’s not pleasurable. When we focus on being in the moment and enjoying the flavours, we’re less likely to overeat!
- Nourish Yourself at Home. Take advantage of taking care of yourself when you’re not out and about. When you’re not at the cottage, or at a BBQ party, focus on nourishing your body as much as possible. Reach for nutrient-dense salads, fat-free soups, buddha bowls, and other foods to help with losing weight. Fill your grocery list with wholesome ingredients like sweet potatoes, broccoli, quinoa, spinach, fish, and lean proteins. Nourish yourself with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals by eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Staying true to your nutritional goals is all about finding healthy alternatives. Thankfully, the internet is full of great healthy choices to consider. For example, instead of drenching your salad in high-fat salad dressing, use olive oil with lemon juice. Or, when a recipe calls for heavy cream, use sour cream instead. Instead of eating an entire bar of milk chocolate, take pleasure in enjoying dark chocolate and reap the antioxidant benefits!
While ice cream is pretty much everywhere this summer, you can make healthier alternatives at home! We particularly love Popsicle Creamsicles! A quick fix for a summer delight, with much fewer calories than traditional thick and creamy ice cream.
– 2 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
– 1 cup canned coconut milk
– 6 scoops of collagen
– ½ tsp. vanilla extract
– 2 tsp raw honey, or sweetener of choice (optional)
1) Add ingredients to high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
2) Divide mixture evenly into 6 popsicle molds and place in the freezer until firm, at least 6 hours. (you can also use ice cube trays for smaller treats)
3) Carefully remove from silicone molds when fully frozen and enjoy!
Health and Wellness Coach Denise Blake
Adopt a healthy eating mindset quicker by working alongside a health and wellness coach. Enjoy first-class knowledge and support for your health and wellness goals. Looking for more summer weight loss tips and advice on achieving a healthy eating mindset? Book a free discovery call with Health and Wellness Coach, Denise Blake!